Almost anyone can recognize a skunk when they see one. This black and white mammal has the ability to spray a highly odorous fluid when threatened, which can be significantly difficult to eliminate. Below are a list of tips that can help you with your skunk problems.
The best and most effective way for removing a skunk is to trap it and then release it elsewhere. There are a few things you should keep in mind when setting up a skunk trap.
- Set your traps in high skunk activity areas and use marshmallows or cat food for bait.
- Make sure to set the trap in a shaded area.
- Once a skunk is captured and released, relocate the trap at least 10 miles away from the captured site.
Keep in mind that not all skunk problems have to be resolved by trapping the animal. Individuals can implement different tips to prevent skunks from coming on to their property.
- Install a fence around the property you do not want it to enter. A skunk will not be able to make its way around or through the fence, making it a highly effective prevention method.
- Use natural repellents such as citrus fruit peels, predator urine or even spices such as cayenne pepper to keep them away. Many wild animals do not like the smell of citrus fruits including skunks, therefore, you can spread the citrus fruit peel around the areas a skunk has been which will help prevent them from returning.
- Clean your yard and secure all garbage cans. Skunks look for areas that have readily available food source such as food in your trash cans. If your yard is clean and garbage cans are secure, skunks are less likely to return. Having food that is easily accessible for these mammals will result in them returning regularly.
- Another effective way to prevent skunks from entering your property is by setting up specialized critter sprinklers which are motion activated. These sprinklers can be set up near an area where you do not want any skunks. They will help solve your skunk problems in a safe and humane way, but on the other hand, the sprinklers may trigger the skunk to spray its scent.